Sep 01, 2012 |
America’s librarians create Money as You Grow book list
The Association for Library Service to Children, a division of the American Library Association, has developed a book list for parents, educators, and kids tied to the age-appropriate lessons of Money as You Grow. Read the books below with your kids (or have them read on their own) to help instill the lessons from MoneyAsYouGrow.org, the interactive website I helped create as a member of the President’s Advisory Council on Financial Capability. If you try any of these recommendations from the nation’s children’s librarians, please let me know which book(s) you read and what you thought!
1. Betty Bunny Wants Everything by Michael Kaplan, illustrated by Stephane Jorisch. Dial, 2012.
2. Berenstain Bears’ Dollars & Sense by Stan and Jan Berenstain. Random House, 2001.
3. A Chair for My Mother by Vera Williams. Greenwillow Books, 1982.
4. Do I Need It? or Do I Want It?: Making Budget Choices by Jennifer Larson, Lerner, 2010.
5. Learning about Money Series (Titles include What is Money, Spending Money, Saving Money and Earning Money) by Mary Firestone. Capstone Press, 2005.
6. Tía Isa Wants a Car by Meg Medina. Illustrated by Claudio Muñoz. Candlewick Press, 2011.
1. Budgeting Tips for Kids by Tamra Orr. Mitchell Lane Publishers, 2008.
2. Cash, Credit Cards or Checks: A Book about Payment Methods by Nancy Loewen, Illustrated by Brad Fitzpatrick. Picture Window Books, 2005.
3. Money Madness by David A. Adler and illustrated by Edward Miller. Holiday House, 2009.
4. Money Sense Series (Titles include Consumer Sense, Managing Money, The Money System, and Currency) by Andrew Einspruch. Smart Apple Media, 2012.
5. One Cent, Two Cents, Old Cent, New Cent: All about Money by Bonnie Worth. Illustrated by Aristides Ruiz. Random House, 2008.
6. If You Made a Million by David M. Schartz. Illustrated by Steven Kellogg. HarperCollins, 1994.
1. The Everything Kids’ Money Book: Earn It, Save It, and Watch It Grow! by Brett McWhorter Sember. Adams Media, 2008.
2. Money Sense for Kids by Hollis Page Harman. Barrons Educational Series, 2004.
3. Growing Money: A Complete Investing Guide for Kids by Gail Karlitz. Illustrated by Stephen Lewis. Price Stern Sloan, 2010.
4. Not Your Parents’ Money Book: Making, Saving, and Spending Your Own Money by Jean Chatzky. Illustrated by Erwin Haya. Simon & Schuster, 2010.
5. How Economics Works Series (Titles include Budgeting, Banking, Earning Money, Economics, Saving Money and The Stock Market). Lerner Publications, 2006.
6. Real World Math Series. (Titles include Saving for the Future, Investing-Making Your Money Work for You, Living on a Budget, Smart Shopping, Using Credit Wisely and Payday!). Cherry Lake Publishing, 2007.